May has been a pretty weird one. Between celebrating my birthday multiple times and finishing off the semester, I’m feeling pretty exhausted. I didn’t know I could feel so emotionally and physically drained, but here we are. I hope the cosmos have some really great things in store for me in June because who knows how much more I can take.
So while I hope for some good universe alignment to come my way, I managed to find some things that were pretty cool this month to enhance the lives of others.
- Cold water is essential in the warmer months and I love this W&P water bottle ice cube tray. It’s great for making flavored ice cubes to enhance boring old water and, hello, it’s made for fitting in the most inconvenient place to fit ice cubes: water bottles.
- Get Lost is such a great tune. I just want to dance to it for hours and hours.
- Master of None is such a brilliant show and it recently just began streaming its new season on Netflix. I love that episode 1 of season 2 took place in the Italian town my family comes from (not to mention the Italian neorealism of that episode is perfect). PLUS there’s tons of pasta to look at and plenty of modern dating (and situations) to laugh at.
- Sofia Coppola is one of my favorite directors ever and recently just became the 2nd woman to ever win best director at Cannes (71 years later than the first). She has a new movie coming out soon and took W Magazine on a personal tour of some of her inspirations.
- I love rose gold anything and this Ouai hair and body oil promises to make my hair shiny and hydrated so naturally I’m all in. I’m not sure about using it on my skin but it claims to remove redness and reduce the appearance of scars. I really can’t wait to try it.
A few weeks back I decided to revisit (and use) my old Tumblr account. I decided to give it a whole new look and tagging system so I could find things much easier. I use it as kind of visual collection of things that inspire me, things I want to try, and just funny things. I have had this Tumblr since 2009 and it has thousands of posts. While tagging I realized there were SO many images of m&m chocolate chip cookies. Like…..maybe too many?
Since taking on that incredibly type-A task, I’ve been thinking about these cookies for days. One afternoon I took a break and thought why not make some? Using my handy tagging system I began looking at recipes, but then it dawned on me: I’m just going to add M&Ms to the regular Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe. Cause with chocolate chip cookies, if ain’t broke don’t fix it. Plus I have the recipe memorized and my favorite adjustments on lock already. Easy enough…
Every season there is a mountain of trends to keep track of. Even while brainstorming this post I had to dig through more than I could probably recall from memory. Everything from yellow to graphic prints and off the shoulder to stripes will occupying our favorite stores for the next few months. So with that in mind, I’ve chosen four of those trends I can really get behind for summer.
Not into these? I’m also partial to white dresses, white sneakers, and, of course, stripes.
Ring bags are kinda one of those things that just appear once and then take off like wildfire. The rings first began appearing on the incredibly popular Chloe Faye bags and all over their runway shows. Ever since other brands and designers have taken notice and the bag is here to stay…for now anyway.
I’ll be honest: I’m really bad at beauty. I’m just not an expert. I literally would buy everything from Target and the thought of Sephora gave me anxiety. Well, now I have grown to love Sephora like I never imagined possible. That said we all have beauty obsessions. Just those things we can’t wait to tell everyone about or maybe even just keep to ourselves. They may come and go or change over time, but there are things that make us happy and feel beautiful. They are also pretty useful in maintaining our health, wellness, and self-esteem.
I picked up a faux leather mini skirt at Zara while shopping for my recent vacation to Las Vegas. It was on sale and I figured might as well. I really liked it when I tried it on in the dressing room despite not really being sure what I would pair it with on a night out (or any other time really). In the picture above you can see it has a cinched waistband and pockets. Pockets are essential as any girl knows.
A faux leather mini skirt can give any wardrobe a little edginess without trying too hard. It can be paired with a feminine blouse or camisole to tone down the harshness of the leather or it can be worn with a simple t-shirt to make it look more casual. I’ve brainstormed a few ways to rock the mini with the hopes it gets more use than my faux leather birdcage skirt.
I may have a love/hate relationship with summer, but one thing I do consistently is make 10,000 mixes during the season. I’ll find any reason to make one. I’m not sure if I’ll share them all here, but I might share a couple at least.
This one has a very intentional chilled out vibe to it. The other day I surprised myself when during a conversation I admitted I love just doing nothing during the summer. What I mean is give me a pool, a nice adult beverage, and I don’t mind sitting still doing literally nothing. This might be the only time I truly am not doing something. So I made this playlist with that idea in mind. What songs could I turn on while relaxing by the pool and not get utterly annoyed by or want to change. The general idea was to be able to be floating in the middle of the pool without being able to touch any electronic device whatsoever. Just be in the moment and thoroughly relaxed.