Just everything giving me serious heart eyes this month.
I’ll be honest: I’m really bad at beauty. I’m just not an expert. I literally would buy everything from Target and the thought of Sephora gave me anxiety. Well, now I have grown to love Sephora like I never imagined possible. That said we all have beauty obsessions. Just those things we can’t wait to tell everyone about or maybe even just keep to ourselves. They may come and go or change over time, but there are things that make us happy and feel beautiful. They are also pretty useful in maintaining our health, wellness, and self-esteem.
Warmer temperatures means a change in my beauty must-haves. Really anything that keeps me from melting is entirely welcome. A must have in my book is anything that enables survival but keeps me feeling confident.
- Blush (NARS ‘Sex Appeal’) – This soft peach blush is a change from the rosy pink I usually use because it is much softer and subdued.
- Sea Salt Spray (Bumble and Bumble) – This is my go-to sea salt spray, but I use it minimally during the warmer months. It can be incredibly drying and lead to a frizzy look when used too much. But when used every once in a while it gives a really great beach fresh texture.
- Sunscreen (Aveeno) – duh.
- Bronzer (Hourglass Ambient Bronzer) – The perfect sun-kissed look with a radiant finish and minimal effort. Just for those days where I need a little dimension without baking in the sun (never advised).
- Nail Color (Essie ‘Excuse Me, Sur’) – This is my favorite nail color from Essie’s spring collection inspired by a California road trip. It’s a peachy pink that fits really well with my tan.
- Waterproof Mascara (Better Than Sex) – Because no one likes having mascara run down their face when sweating or crying. Full disclosure it takes quite a bit of remover to get off depending on how many coats are applied.
- Hair Mask (Neutrogena Recovery Mask) – I use this once a week to restore the health of my hair. Within the span of a shower it can minimize the product and heat damage and leave my hair looking healthy (and soft).
- Self Tanner (Nivea Sun Kissed Radiance lotion) – I am very wary of self tanner and I prefer to use Nivea’s gradual lotion. It adds a nice even color over time and Nivea makes the best lotions for my skin so double whammy.
Are topknots even cool anymore? I don’t know. What I do know is I love them quite a bit when I’m feeling way too lazy to wash and style my hair. The topknot is chic and classic. It can be worn for a variety of occasions. I usually wear it to work or when it’s incredibly hot outside to keep the hair from getting sticky. I like how versatile it can be. I can make it really messy and relaxed or really crisp and tight.
- Use Pret-A-Powder (adds volume) to create a messy, high ponytail.
- Using the Tangle Teezer (or brush), tease hair out to create tons of volume. This works better if you’re using day old, curled hair. It will look crazy, messy, and full of knots. This is good.
- Separate hair into two sections. Wrap one around the base of the ponytail in one direction. Secure with a bobby pin. Repeat with the other section in the opposite direction.
- Pull sections to make hair messier and pin into shape desired.
- Finish with hairspray.
- Pin as many times as you need to get your desired shape. I end up using about 6 to get a more messy knot.
- Press down on the top for a flatter knot, pull sections outwards for a wider knot, or wrap sections tighter for a smaller knot.
Forgive the pictures
There’s two times I get incredibly bored with myself: the beginning of the year and when something happens that makes me feel like I just need a change. It’s the beginning of the new year so naturally I’m bored with my hair. I think it’s too long and too dull (despite the pretty highlights near the bottom), so I’ve been browsing for ways to change up my hair. Although I probably won’t end up doing it. What I do know is I would love to try out the whole “rose gold” trend. I’ve done it by accident years ago (purple faded to a darkish pink) but after the awkward Bayalage saga of last year I’m avoiding colors at all costs.
I mean what if they ask me just how many strands of rose gold hair color I want to end up with? Yes…that’s basically what happened last time I added color to my hair. Color isn’t the only issue, styling becomes boring too. Not to mention the damage caused by styling tools. Hopefully I can find something new to do with my hair…
Consider this the Toys R Us big book of toys for gift giving this holiday season
We are just about a week away from Christmas and while I haven’t finished my shopping (still got a few more things to pick up) I have had the time to browse the internet for the coolest gifts for pretty much everyone from moms & dads to hostess gifts.
J. Crew sweater | Columbo The Complete Series | Bath and Body Works candle | LaVanila perfume | Roku Streaming Stick | Double Leaf earrings | Pottery Barn throw blanket | Madewell slippers | Saturdays coffee | Warby Parker sunglasses
Parallele 45 Rose | Mixology dice | Marble cheese knives | Himalayan Salt tequila glasses | A Proper Drink book | Long burning matches | Vintage coasters | Pineapple serving dish | Monogram bottle stopper | Dark chocolate truffles
Coach Rexy charm | Chill Pill charger | Quirky candle | Best Friend leather jackets | Rebecca Minkoff best friend pouches | Art Print | S’Well galaxy water bottle | Kate Spade iPhone case | Camille wine glasses | Who What Wear heels | Lush Ice Cube gift set | Cat necklace | Spirit Dust | Calm bath salts