I think technically there’s only so many weeks of fall left making this post relatively useless, but I’m not really bothering to pay attention to that. Arizona really only has about two real seasons anyway. Since there are still plenty of fall time left, I put together somewhat of a fall shop. It’s filled with things I really love right now and things that just are great to have. It’s like Oprah’s Favorite Things only I’m not Oprah, and this isn’t a special segment on GMA.
This is more of a winter survival guide rather than wellness, but I guess they are one in the same. I set out to capture the keys to surviving winter because winter is fun for all of…3 minutes. I will admit Arizona “winter” doesn’t compare to others who have snow but there are a few beauty essentials I’ve come to find incredibly beneficial to surviving the colder weather.
- Lush Popcorn Lip Scrub because no matter how many layers of chapstick and bottles of water I drink sometimes lip cracking happens. Plus it smells (and tastes) delicious.
- NIVEA Essential Moisture Body Lotion to keep my entire person in tip-top shape. No scaly skin around here. For face moisturizer I use Aveeno Positively Radiant with SPF. Don’t let the winter sun fool you, it can still cause plenty of damage.
- NARS Audacious Lipstick in Charlotte because I’m just not into pretty pink shades at all (I look like I ate a popsicle and it stained my lips) and winter darker tones are completely acceptable.
- Party on a Platform by Essie. The entire swinging 60’s London collection is gorgeous and pretty much selling out everywhere so get it now. Getting Groovy is perfect for holiday gatherings.
- Urban Decay Highlighter in Sin which is perfect for adding a noticeable, pretty glow to any winter make up look. Seriously people will ask you what you’re wearing.
- Vaseline Lip Therapy or any deep lip moisturizer like Aquaphor or Lip Medex to keep lips looking smooth and healthy.
- Neutrogena Hair Mask just 5 minutes once a week removes damage from weather, heat from styling tools, and other harmful impacts to hair.
Forgive me for the fall overload. Of course, I’m sure it’s really no bother since it really is the best time of the year. One of the best things about it is finally getting to update my beauty essentials.
This is nearly every piece of my daily makeup routine. You may be saying “been there done that” but with fall it’s a little different. I switch out my beloved tinted moisturizer for real foundation because finally it won’t melt off my face or cause a crazy irritation by the middle of the day. Another change is I’ve gone back to my Maybelline Nudes palette. I think I’ve used the browns in the palette so much more than any other eye shadows I own. This NARS lipstick is my favorite during autumn because it’s a really great color that is just dark enough without being too overbearing. It’s a really nice rosy tan.
I picked up the Estee Lauder Edgiest mascara on whim to try new mascara a month or so ago. If you’re looking for spider lashes in an instant you’ve found your perfect tool. It does create volume and length but at a price. It does not come off no matter what remover I use. Straight coconut oil, makeup wipes, or eye makeup remover: it takes a lot to remove it. Other than that, I highly recommend it.
Shop: Maybelline Blur + Illuminate primer, NARS Sheer Glow Foundation, Sonia Kashuk under eye concealer, Too Faced Sun Bunny bronzer, NARS Orgasm blush, Maybelline Nudes palette, Rimmel eyeliner, Rimmel eyebrow pencil, Estee Lauder The Edgiest mascara, NARS Lipstick
Fall is coming, which means changing up my beauty routine. Long gone are the days of copper and shimmer, and in come the darker, warmer hues. But since it’s not quite here yet, I thought I would make a wish list of all the things I am loving right now.
Yes, there is a NARS gold colletion in there, but that’s because the illuminator looks amazing. I’m a recent convert to this and I’m still trying to figure it out all out, but I’m loving it. I’m also not too sure that’s just a summer thing either. The new Elizbeth and James perfumes are to die for. If you don’t believe me, just ask the (rude) girl at Sephora, who ripped them out of my hands to smell them!
Shop this post: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Bourbon, Sweat Cosmetics mineral illuminator, Benefit Pore Fessional primer, Hourglass Ambient Lighting bronzer, Essie fall collection, Two Faced mascara, NARS liquid gold set
I’ll be honest, I know nothing about beauty routines. Beauty and makeup weren’t really as prevelant as they are now when I was younger and learning. The extent of my knowledge was whatever was in Seventeen (or any other teen) magazine. But as I’ve gotten older and more information is available (thanks Youtube and beauty blogs) I can try and find new things that work.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s continue with the How Nicole Does Things series and talk about my current makeup routine. In my attempt of exploring what works, I often find once I reach the optimal combination they stop making the color or product I love. This just so happens to be the case recently with my old eyeshadow choices. I have tried expensive pallettes before and while the pigments are much better, I just can’t find the right combination for myself so I have refrained from shelling out the money for them. Drugstore eyeshadow quads are just as effective, and I can change my mind as much as I want without breaking the bank every time.
Below are the products I currently use every day and in the process of making this post, I felt a little bad that most of the things I use every day are just things I picked up at Target. But I realize that I’m not a professional and while the highest rated concealer at Sephora might be the greatest in the world, I don’t necessarily think spending tons on every piece of makeup that touches my face is effective or reasonable to my lifestyle. Plus, I love Target. Everyone does.
- After rinsing my face with water and applying toner, I apply Boots No. 7 Hydrating Eye Cream to my undereyes.
- Apply NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer and conceal any visible imperfections and undereye area with Maybelline Master Concealer.
- Use Rimmel Matte Powder on t-zone to prevent oil and shine. Follow up with NARS Laguna/Orgasm bronzer & blush duo.
- Apply eyeshadow from Maybelline eyeshadow quad in any manner you prefer. I don’t always follow the labels. This crease color looks better on the lid.
- Apply Sonia Kashuk eyeliner thinly close to the lash line and smudge with an eyeliner brush. Follow up with Boots No. 7 eyebrow enhancer on the eyebrows.
- Finish the look with a few coats of Butter London Double Decker mascara.
- Finally, using a small brush, add Silk Teddy from the Too Faced Natural Eyes collection to the corners of the eye as a highlighter. To tone down the smokiness and make eyeshadow appear more matte, I very lightly brush Heaven across my entire eyelid up to my brow.